Historic Mount Royal Terrace Association – DRAFT
March 16, 2015
Meeting called to order at 7:05 pm; 29 people in attendance
1. Introductions – Joyce Richardson – Baltimore Education Coalition representative; Cori Ramos – Special Assistant to Councilman Nick Mosby
2. Approval of Minutes – A motion was made and seconded to approve 02/17/2015 meeting minutes. Motion carried.
3. Guest Speaker
Derrick Greene, Community Liaison with the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s office, was unable to attend. Greg asked Joyce Richardson to speak instead about the potential cuts in funding to Baltimore City public schools. Joyce asked attendees to support BEC’s effort to restore education funding by participating in their postcard campaign.
4. Treasurer’s Report
Total balance: $6399; HMRTA spent $20 in March to become a member of Parks & People’s Community Greening Resource Network
Restricted (grants): $3012
5. Committee Reports
a. Community Outreach –Friends of Reservoir Hill social scheduled for March 24 at Tune Up City and St. Francis Neighborhood Center; HMRTA Board scheduled to meet with Councilman Nick Mosby and City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby on March 25 to discuss MPN, North Ave streetscaping; State Center Neighborhood Alliance/Mount Royal CDC social to support redevelopment of State Center scheduled for March 26 at Ryleigh’s in Mt. Vernon
1. HMRTA Community Clean-up scheduled for Saturday, March 21 at 9am, neighbors will pick up debris on the 1900-2000 blocks of MRT; Mayor’s Spring Clean-up (citywide) scheduled for Saturday, April 25. HMRTA is registered. The City will pick up bagged debris (litter/leaves/yard waste) brought to MRT & Newington Ave between 9-12pm. Neighbors who need lawn/leaf bags can contact Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Rosemary Peternel is the new manager of the Lennox Street Community Garden, located on the 700 block of Lennox St. Plots are still available for rent. Neighbors can contact her at email@example.com if they’re interested in renting a plot for the season.
3. Greg reported that HMRTA submitted an application to Baltimore Green Space, a land trust, for the park between Lennox, Reservoir St, Park and MRT.
1. BGE Gas Line Project – Neighbors must clear a 3’x3’ space around the gas meter inside their home in order for BGE to gain access to complete the gas line replacement – interior work is scheduled to begin in April. If you are not receiving email updates about the project, neighbors should email Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org Kim and Cal will present an update to neighbors at the RHIC meeting on Tuesday, April 7 at John Eager Howard Rec Center.
2. The lighting committee plans to conduct a survey to measure the amount of light on each block. A service request has been submitted to the City to repair the lights on the columns at Mt. Royal & North – the committee is looking into grants to fund the repair in case the City does not take action.
d. MPN – Shineka reported that the remaining residents of MPN are expected to vacate the property by April 1 – some parts of the property have already been boarded up. Neighbors should call 911 if they see any suspicious activity around the property.
e. CHAP – No report; Nancy Cooper-Morgan, CHAP representative for the Upper Eutaw Madison Historic District in Reservoir Hill spoke about the need for CHAP representatives throughout the City to organize and advocate for historic preservation
f. Social – Open house/walking tour planned for the spring, featuring homes of different architectural styles. Baltimore Heritage recommended contacting Dale Terrill for assistance with organizing event. Rosemary Peternel mentioned that the Reservoir Hill Garden & Home Tour will return in 2016.
g. Grants – Cori Ramos, of Councilman Mosby’s office provided information about MECU grant for neighborhood events. Neighbors should contact any HMRTA board member if they know of any other grants available for neighborhood events/projects
8. New Business
a. Mrs. Franklin of 2206 MRT inquired about the status of the vacant home at 2204.5 MRT – Andrea will follow up with City Housing Inspector
b. A neighbor inquired about volunteering at the community park on Whitelock St & Brookfield, across from Whitelock Farm. Neighbors can contact Eli Lopatin at email@example.com more information.
c. St. Francis Neighborhood Center at Whitelock St & Linden Ave is holding a community clean-up on May 2. Neighbors who are interested in volunteering can contact Christi Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
g. Next general meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 21
Meeting adjourned at 8:30pm